If fellow tanks haven’t seen this TankSpot article on the 3.2 avoidance changes yet, it includes the new ratio for optimal avoidance and is worth a look. Has some impressive maths in it too .
I tried to summarise in a thread at tankspot and have retyped it below.
For patch 3.3, see this discussion on the -20% aura. The below remains accurate even in 3.3.
What to do in 3.2
The tldr version is this:
- get the post-diminishing returns percentages from the char sheet
- reduce them by 5% dodge (talents), paladin/warrior 5% parry, and 3% or 4% (runeforges), then
- use these figures, and aim for a ratio of dodge % : parry % of 1.875:1
- also try to keep defence rating around the optimal steps of below.
Optimal defence steps, have the least wasted rating to skill conversion:
689,694,728,733,738,743, 748,753, 787,792,797,802,807, 812,846,851,856,861,866,871, 910,915,920,925,930,935
For DKs, because of our strength-> parry, this ratio means we will never want to gem for parry and should be aware of its lower value to us on gear.
Other related posts
- Macros to calculate total avoidance
By the way, JCs, did you know this was stealthily added to the game recently? It was in wowhead as a phantom for ages, but is in live WoW now.
Nice alternative to Regal for a red slot: subtle scarlet ruby, 16 dodge gem.