If you’re handling loot, you should know what kinds of weapons a DK tank will want. If you’re giving loot priority to tanks this should also mean DK tanks get first dibs on some 2H weapons which otherwise you’d give to a DPS.
Fist I’ll outline the basics you need to know about, and then list out some of the better 3.2 DK tank weapons.
I have an ordered list of 3.3 Icecrown weapons.
Dual-wield tanking is a topic for another day, but in terms of one-handed tank weapon drops you should always give first rights to shield-tanks. If it’s an upgrade for a shield-tank, it will be better for them than for a DK tank who’s dual-wielding.
In contrast, if a two-handed weapon drops which is an upgrade for the DK tank, they (ideally) should get priority over DPSer. But what is an upgrade?
Tanks should gear and spec for these priorities, in this order:
The only time you consider threat more important is when (a) you have become a glass-ceiling for threat on your DPSers and (b) yet you are not dying nor coming close to it during the fight. Until then, DK tanks should focus on survival and don’t worry abour their damage contribution.
In terms of threat, higher iLevel weapons with their bigger maximum damage generally give the most threat boost to a DK tank. Depending on your level of progression, this may actually be a concern (ie. hard-mode tanks need to work on their threat more than casual tanks do). So an iLevel upgraded weapon (not just one with more strength on it) will give them a huge TPS boost.
What stats matter to a DK tank
If you are comparing items of the same iLevel, the stats a DK tank should focus on:
- Stamina (survival)
- Agility (survival from avoidance)
- Expertise (slight survival from reduced chance of boss parry and increases threat)
- Weapon slowness and damage (threat)
- To-hit and strength (threat, taunt and bit of avoidance from strength)
- DPS stats like armour pen, haste and critical strike (threat)
For example, here is a perfectly itemised tank weapon, the i213 Inevitable Defeat from Naxx-25. (I’m using it in the site banner image. When it dropped I had a nerdgasm on Teamspeak.)
I have analysed the stat breakdowns of which provide the most threat, if you do need to focus on that.
Example weapon decisions
It gets a bit more complicated if you’re comparing across iLevels. Check my 3.3 Icecrown weapon list too. Some examples:
- the Ironsoul, from Ulduar-10 is i219 but is worse for a tank than the Inevitable Defeat “ID”. Not enough gain in stam to offset the loss of expertise and dodge (ie. agility).
- the Marrowstrike is about the same as the ID even though it i219
- Aesir’s Edge is beautiful at i232, stick 2x 30 stam gems in that. Best PVE item at this level. 10-man hard-mode XT-002.
- The Furious arena weapons are better, but requires the PvP path. Loads of stamina.
- in Coliseum 10-man normal, you can get Reckoning/Edge of Agony or Fordragon Blades/Anguish, all i232. Which is better? Use the priority table above to decide.
- at i245 you get some awesome choices like Justicebringer from 25-man Faction Champions.
For convenient drooling, here is the complete wowhead loot list of 3.2 weapons.