3.22 is now live, check my index post.
My tank builds and levelling specs have been updated.
These changes mean:
- Unholy dps will go back to using Scourge Strike (instead of Unholy Obliterate, because of the glyph, subversion and dirge changing).
- Frost tanks will be awesome again, with Unbreakable Armour actually being worth using (the new glyph only gives 5% of your base armour, so that’s around 1200)
- Blood will not be the overarching dominant tank spec it is now because its vampiric blood has been balanced to 15s glyphed, bone shield is back to one minute and frost is fixed
- heart strike’s cleave got nerfed but it’s still good, and not changed on a single-target
- plus… dual-wield tanking is back on the agenda with RS threat fixed in DW specs. Basically, you just need 30 expertise to use two fast tank weapons and you’re only going to be parrygibbed as much as a warrior (ie. if they’re ok, you’re ok). Read the whole article.
- But to make up for it the T9 set bonus will be 10s not 20s reduction.
Sept 12 update:
- unholy bone shield reduced to 3 charges, and its glyph to +1. This is them completing the change from 2min to 1 min; vampiric blood was tweaked in one patch to 1 min with 15s uptime. Blizzard push patches in bits, so this is their complete patch for the talent now (as opposed to an afterthought).
- My paladin colleagues will be sad about this “Ardent Defender: This talent now reduces damage taken below 35% health by 7/13/20% instead of 10/20/30%.”
- Warrior tanks might like this odd buff “Critical Block: This talent now grants a 20/40/60% chance to block double the normal amount instead of 10/20/30%.” Source.
Ghostcrawler has now commented, asked ‘why are the DK cooldowns being buffed?’ he said:
Making the tanks different is very important to us. If we can keep DKs in a spot where their health and mitigation might be a little lower, but cooldowns make up for it, then they play differently from other tanks. The most boring solution would be to give everyone the same armor, health and cooldowns. Then all you’re really getting is different art for your character, and of course the community would move on to resource mechanics or threat generation as the next reason they’re getting benched.
[slider title="Read Sept 23 final patch notes:"]
- Gnaw: This death knight ghoul ability now has a 1-minute cooldown.
- Heart Strike: Secondary targets of Heart Strike now take half as much damage.
- Subversion: Now also increases the critical strike chance of Scourge Strike by 3/6/9%.
- Vampiric Blood: Cooldown reduced to 1 minute and duration reduced to 10 seconds.
- Threat of Thassarian now also causes Rune Strike to use both weapons when dual-wielding.
- Unbreakable Armor: Cooldown reduced to 1 minute and changed back to granting 25% additional armor while active instead of flat damage reduction based on armor. The amount of strength granted has been reduced to 10%.
- Frost Presence: The damage reduction granted by this ability has been increased from 5% to 8%.
- Bone Shield: This ability now has 3 charges instead of 4. Cooldown reduced to 1 minute.
- Dirge: This talent no longer grants additional runic power from using Obliterate.
Rune of Razorice: The frost vulnerability granted by this enchantment will now increase the damage done by Frost Fever as intended.
Death Knight Tier-9 DPS 4-Piece Set Bonus: Now grants the correct chance for disease damage ticks to be critical strikes.
- Glyph of Bone Shield: This glyph now grants 1 additional charge instead of 2.
- Glyph of Unbreakable Armor: Now increases the armor gained from Unbreakable Armor by 20%.
- Glyph of Vampiric Blood: The glyph now increases the duration of Vampiric Blood by 5 seconds instead of 10. [/slider]
Unholy tank dps tests
See my detailed post analying the highest thread Unholy build.
Prior to 3.22, we had a discussion on this at tankspot.
[slider title ="See result of Esch's spec."]
|Total Damage 1090.63m in 100h|
|Template: Unholy ptr tank Esch|