I was tanking Utgarde Keep on my reroll DK ‘Industry’ earlier. Did it because I saw “LF1M tank, UK” on general chat. I really enjoyed the run. I was in my blood dps levelling spec, so I had just a few tanking talents to draw on. Went fine.
There was a funny moment. The party did wonder about me, when I suddenly died before even zoning in.
Anyhow, clearing UK got me wondering, why do I love tanking so much?
There are a few top-of-mind reasons for me.
1. I like leadership and responsibility. I notice when others are good leaders too, and that’s relaxing for me. If I’m in a group with a poor leader, I sometimes end up being defacto leader by the end just from being the one with good instructions and reminders for people.
2. I don’t care about dps: I like stamina. I do like to see big hits – large numbers flying over my head – but much prefer to have a big HP pool. I like stacking stamina, for some reason I can’t work out yet; simply having high HP makes me feel better than having high dps.
3. I like strategy, tactics and positioning. I enjoy clustering a group of mobs, getting agro, taking a step or two back to ensure none are behind me, and letting other people kick their ass. I enjoy telling people which order we’ll take down the targets. I enjoy setting a fast pace for the run.
4. Being a tank somehow makes me feel strong. This is a bit honest and perhaps ethereal, but being a big tank makes me feel good. Doing big dps doesn’t give me any emotional satisfaction. I just don’t care. There must be something primitive here I can’t quite name, but it’s the opposite of why teenagers play huntards and gank-rogues.
5. I like statistics and analysis. But, some dpsers do too, and they can do lots of theorycrafting also. Why do so many tanks get into theory? We are a very active community when it comes to analysis. Must be something in that. Are tanks disproportionately into maths?
I really like being a tank. I have also raided as a warlock, hunter, paladin (tank, dps and healer), druid healer and mage. I think of the dps classes, I prefer hunter because I also like pets. Yet none of them have the same visceral pull as tanking.
How about you guys?
If you want some ideas, I found this thread which started off being ‘why do you hate tanking so much’ and a Blue mod changed it to ask ‘why do you love tanking?’ Twenty pages of answers, about half of which are some idiots vomiting.
you need to use the forums for this post. The blog comments are closed, but the DK Tank forums are open.