Jan 6th: ha ! I knew I was right. See this Blue post.
Original post follows.
I’d like to do some analysis on how a shield-tank feels less squishy in heriocs, because shield block reduces the average incoming hit by such a high proportion. Against a raid boss, the shield block diminishes in value (well argued and established on tankspot).
But in a Heroic, I know shield-tanks can feel less squishy than DKs; I believe it’s shield block. I’d like to work out exactly how much it helps though.
The problem was, looking at the data didn’t really support my hypothesis… details on that at the end.
How much is blocked?
- An epic, well-geared paladin or warrior is blocking 1500 to 2000.
- Comments to this post have further data points (thanks guys and gals)
- A friend of mine (i213 warrior) is blocking for about 1200.
Some WWS data points below. Note I did not check to see if any priest or shaman damage-reduction buffs were up because what I was looking for really was some ranges of trash and boss damage, and some confirmations on block values. Those buffs could influence data.
Just for simplicity, I didn’t pull out data on druid tanks, even though they have a bear block.
- On trash, the maximum physical hit taken was 5771.
- Average hit 1252 (that includes those he partially blocked)
- His average block was for 1923.
- 49.8% avoidance + mitigation, 6.4% of that was block
- On bosses, maximum hit was 10797.
- Average hit 2122, max 10797
- Average block 1902 (about the same as trash, as it should be: it’s a linear stat).
[slider title="See more WWS data points"]
- On trash, maximum hit was 6626
- Average hit 2005
- Avoidance 53.5%
- On bosses, maximum hit 7053, average 2548
- Trash: average 1829
- max 5236, avoidance 55.2%
- Bosses: max 9213, average 2259
- Trash: average 1702, maximum 4414, block value 1985
- 59.9% avoidance and mitigation, 9.1% of that is block
- Boss: average 1806, max 6027, block value 2857 (must have used talents/trinkets)
- 54.8% avoidance and mitigation, 6.8% of that as block [/slider]
So what damage do tanks in heroics take?
From trash: between 1252 and 5771 on the block tanks, and between 1829 and 6626 on the DKs.
The sampled tanks have between 49% and 60% avoidance and/or block.
Block values around 1900, normal tanks would be 1200 or so.
So why do shield tanks feel less squishy?
A DK tends to have higher avoidance by similar percentage to how much the shield-tanks are blocking, so in theory they should get about the same overall incoming damage.
Perhaps it’s just perception, which is that spiky on/off avoidance damage a DK takes makes them appear squishier even if they’re not, because in comparison a block-tank will get a full hit, a blocked hit or avoid altogether. The blocked hits must smooth out the tank’s variation in health such that the healer’s perception is of smoothed-out incoming damage.
I’m not quite sure, open to thoughts on this one.