Significant changes for DK tanks.
Probably help dps too, but I don’t write about that as much, like DW Frost dps might be viable (instead of lame).
Awesome, [spell]Will of the Necropolis[/spell] is now an unconditional effective-health boost. Fantastic. Unless a strike leapfrogs you into death (with massive overkill) it means Blood tanks have more EH than before. It’s not possible to model it mathematically because the value of WotN is a function of the damage you incur below 35%. Its change also means ambient damage will be reduced whilst you’re low on health. Brilliant news.
This change is another reason to make Blood your primary tank spec for ICC. I’m currently using Blood (very bias to single-target, it’s terrible at AOE how I’ve done it) with Unholy for trash in between.
Our raid buffs also will be up 100% of the time. I have had between 85 to 98% uptime depending on the raid, so it’s great to have a constant.
More threat from [spell]icy touch[/spell] might lean tanks towards no-reaping builds, depending how ‘very high’ they mean. It has a 7x threat multiplier on PTR at the moment, which means we could use an IT-spam rotation in the first 20s of a fight to get a lead, then return to a normal rotation for the remainder of the fight.
I haven’t done any research or reading on this yet, but the change to scourge strike is peculiar. It won’t make you diseaseless, obviously, but I presume there was a dps issue when diseases fell-off in the last 3 seconds of a rotation. Might change this paragraph when I’ve done that in a day or so.
The glyph of disease change shouldn’t effect tanks at all, since no Frost tank uses it. I’m curious why this change matters anyhow given the raid buff is going to be passive.
Masses of battleground improvements might help you level alts, or get PvP gear for your off-spec, or whatnot.
Our bits from the 3.33 patch notes courtesy wowhead:
- Icy Touch: This ability now causes a very high amount of threat while the death knight is in Frost Presence.
- Rune of Razorice: Now stacks 5 stacks of 2% Frost Vulnerability instead of 10 stacks of 1% Frost Vulnerability. Proc chance changed to 100%.
- Abomination’s Might: This effect is now passive instead of being a proc on certain strikes. Rank 1 is 5% attack power and Rank 2 is 10% attack power. The self strength buff remains unchanged.
- Will of the Necropolis: There is no longer a cooldown on the frequency at which this talent can be activated. In addition, this ability can now also be triggered by damage which deals less than 5% of your health.
- Endless Winter: No longer causes Frost Fever to be applied by Chains of Ice, but instead grants 2/4% strength. The previous functionality of this talent can now be attained via the Glyph of Chains of Ice.
- Improved Icy Talons: This effect is now passive instead of being a proc. The self haste buff remains unchanged.
- Nerves of Cold Steel: Now increases off-hand damage by 8/16/25%, up from 5/10/15%.
- Unbreakable Armor: The amount of strength granted is now 20%, up from 10%.
- Scourge Strike: Now deals 70% weapon damage, plus 12% of physical damage done as shadow damage for each of the death knight’s diseases on the target. The net result should be larger strikes with no diseases present, while maximum damage with all diseases applied to the target should stay the same.